Day 16 - Address Book DB

Today we continued with databases, but we started actually creating them using Ruby. The project I spent the most time on was an afternoon challenge. I paired with James, and we had to create a database for an address book, including contacts and groups. We wrote code to populate the database with some sample information, and wrote Ruby methods to display the contacts, add/modify the contacts/groups, and write some validations for whether an email address or phone number was valid.

James and I probably spent 3-4 hours on just this one exercise, but we were never really at a point of frustration. We would come to challenging areas, do research, talk to other students or the teachers, and move on. It felt really good to make progress like that, and we really got in to the exercise. We even created custom error messages for when someone tried to enter an invalid phone number or email address. There may have been a high-five.

I’m getting a little nervous about the group project and phase interviews we’ll have this Friday. I’ve been through it once and it was not a pleasant day. I’m more comfortable with the material now, so that does make me feel a little better.

This Friday is also when I’ll fly to Austin for the weekend, and I’m really looking forward to that.

  1. devbootcamp reblogged this from codingadventure
  2. codingadventure posted this